About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Vanessa. I'm currently in school for my Bachelor's in Social Work with a minor in Juvenile Justice. Life is what we make it so why let "society" ruin it. If you are a part of society and allow it to influence you, this blog is not for you. If not, enjoy reading about hair and products, music, society, relationships, and anything else I can think of.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

William Faulkner and Ernest Hemingway Dialogue: Investigation to Intoxication

William Faulkner and Ernest Hemingway are two close friends (in this scenario) hanging out at a café, with Faulkner, not knowing what was to be in store for him that day. It's a nice summer evening with a breeze coming in from the north and they come in to meet to discuss a public matter about a local Negro that was experiencing particular issues with the law. Both are with the authorities and are questioning one another on their progress.

Faulkner: “Where's the nigger? Have you got him?” (Barn Burning 163).

Hemingway: “Last week he tried to commit suicide,” (A Clean, Well...159).

Faulkner: “But that's not proof. Don't you see that's not proof?” (Barn Burning 163).

Hemingway: “How do you know...he was in despair,” (A Clean, Well...159).


Faulkner: “Hey...talk louder,” (Barn Burning 163),

Hemingway: “What about?” (A Clean, Well...159).

Faulkner: “...the nigger,” (Barn Burning 163).

Hemingway: “What does it matter...I'm sleepy now. I never got into bed before three o'clock,” (A Clean, Well...159).

Faulkner returns to the previous subject. “But...do you suppose it's really so?” (A Rose for...29).

Hemingway: “I don't know,” (Hills Like...)

Faulkner: “I reckon anybody named...Colonel Sartoris in this country can't help but tell the truth,” (Barn Burning 163).

Hemingway: “It's pretty hot...” (Hills Like...)

Faulkner: “Yes...I reckon...that is,” (Barn Burning 166).

Hemingway: “What should we drink?” (Hills Like...)

Faulkner: “I don't know,” (Barn Burning 163).

Hemingway: “Let's drink beer.” (Hills Like...)

Faulkner: “Why?” Faulkner questions, knowing that his friend would suggest such a thing. (A Rose for...27).

Hemingway, the expert on alcohol, answers, “It's lovely.” (Hills Like...)

Faulkner answers disgustedly, especially due to his dislike of beer, “I'd be the last one in the world,” (A Rose for...27).

Hemingway: “It's awfully simple,” Hemingway replies. (Hills Like...)

Faulkner: “Nevertheless...you'll hog it and like it,” (Barn Burning 166).

Hemingway: “I know you wouldn't mind it,” (Hills Like...)
“What do you want?” (A Clean, Well...159).

Faulkner: “I don’t know,” (Barn Burning 163).

Hemingway: “All right. (Hemingway finishes his drink and doesn't realize that Faulkner never ordered anything.) Should we have another drink?” (Hills Like...)

Faulkner: “But—“ (Barn Burning 163).

Hemingway: “Oh, cut it out. Let's try and have a fine time,” (Hills Like...)

Faulkner: “Don't you want me to?” (Barn Burning 163).

Hemingway: “Yes...Dos cervezas,” he answers to Faulkner while ordering a round of beer. (Hills Like...)

[Waiter]: “Big ones?” (Hills Like...).

Hemingway: “Yes. Two big ones,” (Hills Like...)

[10 Minutes Later]

Faulkner walks away and comes back only to find Hemingway speaking to himself, his words stressed and slurred.

Hemingway: “They look like white elephants,” (Hills Like...)
(To himself) “…drunk now. (To the waiter) “Another brandy,” (A Clean, Well...159).

Faulkner takes the drink Hemingway orders for him and continues to drink another round. This is his first time. A while later, intoxication sank in for the both of them.

Faulkner: “What's your name, boy?” He asks Faulkner, drunk now, and questioning the obvious. (Barn Burning 163).

Hemingway: With bloodshot eyes and mouth wide open, answers “Jig, no, Anis del Toro...I don't know,” (Hills Like...)

Faulkner: “Get that boy up here. He knows,” Faulkner points to a scarecrow outside of the window. (Barn Burning 163).

Hemingway: “I don't want to look at him. I wish he would go home. He has no regard for those who must work,” (A Clean, Well...160).

Faulkner: “But what will you have me do about it…?” (A Rose for...27).

Hemingway: “I don't care,” (Hills Like...)

Faulkner: “Stop it!” (A Rose for...27).

Hemingway: “You started it. I was being amused. I was having a fine time,” (Hills Like...)

[Waiter]: (to security) “Show these gentlemen out,” (A Rose for...27).

Faulkner: “I'm sure that won't be necessary,” (A Rose for...27).

Hemingway: “Come on. Stop talking nonsense...I am of those who like to stay late at the café,” (A Clean, Well...161).

Faulkner: “Dammit,” (A Rose for...28).
“White man...get out my way,” (Barn Burning 167).
“...back in the wagon,” (Barn Burning 164).

No comments: