About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Vanessa. I'm currently in school for my Bachelor's in Social Work with a minor in Juvenile Justice. Life is what we make it so why let "society" ruin it. If you are a part of society and allow it to influence you, this blog is not for you. If not, enjoy reading about hair and products, music, society, relationships, and anything else I can think of.

Friday, September 5, 2008

The Remains of the Day Part I

I began reading the prologue and not long did i realize that this story takes place in England and the narrator is a butler, Mr. Stevens. I notice his sophistication in the way he speaks (mainly because English in England is a little more formal than ours). I could tell right off the bat that Mr. Farraday, his employer isn't from England, but rather from the U.S. Mr. Stevens seems, well, is, very dedicated to his work and wishes nothing more or less than to please Mr. Farraday in the uttermost possible way he can. I noticed this because when Mr. Farraday allows Mr. Stevens to go on a little vacation, Mr. Stevens seems reluctant at the opportunity. As I read on, I noticed that he's trying to be more like his father, "dignity" as he finds very essential for a "great butler". On page 35, Mr. Stevens recalls his father and says, "...he not only knew all there was to know about how to run a house, he did in his prime come to acquire that 'dignity in keeping with his position'." We can all see that dignity to him is one of those unwritten code that all great butlers must abide to.I agree with kavsgojsw1 when he says that it is something you strive for. One cannot be born with dignity...especially because it even sounds ridiculous to say. As I mentioned before, Mr. Stevens Senior (Mr. Stevens' father) possessed a sense of dignity in himself. I think dignity is an interior trait and as one grows and develops into maturity, can be lead to self-discovery, which I think is how dignity is achieved.The Remains of The Day wasn't the first book I read. Instead, I found it more helpful to read How To Read Literature Like A Professor by Thomas C. Foster. With all the new techniques I learned, I tried to put them to practice reading this book. As he goes out on the trip, his stated reason is to get away for a while and see the many places England has to offer. But, we all know even without reading ahead that there will be more to this mere "drive". As Foster explains, a trip can really be a quest, in which new discoveries are bound to happen, that being the actual reason.
July 13, 2008 6:30 PM

No comments: