About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Vanessa. I'm currently in school for my Bachelor's in Social Work with a minor in Juvenile Justice. Life is what we make it so why let "society" ruin it. If you are a part of society and allow it to influence you, this blog is not for you. If not, enjoy reading about hair and products, music, society, relationships, and anything else I can think of.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Remains of the Day Part II

It seems to me that Mr. Stevens is all over the place now while on his trip. He begins to reminisce about his past experiences and most of them during the time he served Mr. Darlington.

I was actually a little appalled by his manner the day his father passed away. Miss Kenton informs Stevens of his father's case, but he seems very "formal" about it...I expected more out of him, being his father and all. But then, he clears my doubts about him when on page 106, he stops Miss Kenton midway up the stairs, "Miss Kenton, please don't think me unduly improper in not ascending to see my father in his deceased condition just at this moment. You see, I know my father would have wished me to carry on just now." The more I thought about, the more I saw where he was coming from. It's just, his reactions weren't all that convincing that he cared. But I do believe his father would indeed have wanted him to continue working while the guests were still present in the hall.

I also realized that when his car is experiencing some problems, he drives to a garage and meets a stranger. Just as the first stranger Stevens meets telling him to hike up the mountain, this stranger tells him to go visit the local pond. Both conclude that if he doesn't travel to these places, he'll regret it. I think that these are two instances that are not brought up for casual purposes, but as a foreshadowing to future events. Now, imagine if Stevens didn't take Mr. Farraday's advice and getting out for a bit...he would've missed out on all of these experiences...but perhaps it means more?

I also agree with jlam09 and emily that Mr. Stevens is using professional reasons as an excuse to go see Miss Kenton. It is true that he decides to go see her after her recent divorce, as emily says, but what could it all mean? When the two were working together during Mr. Darlington's day, they had all the time in the world to start something, if that is the case. But why now?

Last, it seems that the only two subjects he can really partake in are when it concerns some type of "professionalism" and "dignity". These two traits are quite essential to become a "great butler". Both words are used many times in the novel. One conversation he has is during the dinner Mr. and Mrs. Taylor host for him, as they secretly invited other guests to come. One of the men brings up a subject and Stevens seems pretty confident as he answers with "dignity". Noticing that these are again two importain qualities in a butler, he carries them with him at all times, and it shows in his personality (the way he speaks, his gestures, ect.).

***It's very late. 3:13 A.M.

No comments: