About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Vanessa. I'm currently in school for my Bachelor's in Social Work with a minor in Juvenile Justice. Life is what we make it so why let "society" ruin it. If you are a part of society and allow it to influence you, this blog is not for you. If not, enjoy reading about hair and products, music, society, relationships, and anything else I can think of.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Things Fall Apart Part II

Okay...so we're into the second part of the book. Things got a little more interesting along the way. I agree with Marrisa about how Okonkwo killing someone intentionally, but yet, it is alright, but when he killed someone accidentally, he was temporarily exiled for seven years--very ironic. I would think it to be the other way around. His guilt didn't how Okonkwo was sent to his motherland. "A man belongs to his fatherland when things are good and life is sweet. But when there is sorrow and bitterness he finds refuge in his motherland," (134). This was said to Okonkwo by Uchendu in his motherland. I found this quote to actually have a significant impact on Okonkwo because Uchendu was an elder and he must respect that. But not only that, Okonkwo became like a child again fleeing to his motherland. The fact that he had committed a "female" crime against a 16 year old boy whose father died at the burial ceremony made it even more amusing to me. He is being torn apart slowly and he notices it, too. He first notices it after he kills Ikemefuna, which haunts him for days. Which brings me to one of the points Katie and Tzivia bring up. I agree how the gender role in Okonkwo's motherland was ironic. In Umuofia, Okonkwo is a fearless warrior, prepared for battle at any time, and also a well respected man. But, once he goes to Mbanta, he is a child again, being told what to do and such.

When the white man first appears in Umuofia, I sense corruption and disputes to take place. It's like an allegory because the white men did come to Africa and brought destruction as well as modern technology. What will become of Umuofia with this new invasion?

~Vanessa

No comments: