About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Vanessa. I'm currently in school for my Bachelor's in Social Work with a minor in Juvenile Justice. Life is what we make it so why let "society" ruin it. If you are a part of society and allow it to influence you, this blog is not for you. If not, enjoy reading about hair and products, music, society, relationships, and anything else I can think of.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Things Fall Apart Part I

Hello, Vanessa here. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe seemed like a very interesting book, but I began to flip through it and I realized all of the foreign words that are utilized in the novel. I have to admit, I was a little scared to start reading the book. I thought, how am I going to remember all of the words and their meanings as I read...? But, as I read on, I was so engulfed in the story that I completely forgot of my worries.

But yes, along with most of you, I noticed that Achebe does use animalistic characteristics when describing or introducing a character. The people of Umuofia are polytheistic and that could have something to do with it, especially the god of the earth. I agree with Marrisa about the idea of being one with the earth. The animals indeed are part of the earth and to have such qualities are a plus.

Okonkwo's father reminds me a lot of Aureliano Segundo in One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Aureliano Segundo loved to throw endless parties and celebrate with his neighbors serving liquor. Okonkwo's father Unoka was the same way. "...he immediately bought gourds of palm-wine, called round his neighbors and made merry," (4). This is exactly what Aureliano did too, the only difference was that Aureliano was prosperous while Unoka was not.

I can see why Okonkwo is so very ashamed of his father, but then again, it's not improving himself in the positive ways because the way he thinks affects all those around him. It has gotten so far that his emotions are hidden DEEP down inside and he rarely expresses it. Usually he's out hitting or threatening someone. The reason why I say this is because in his village, men are suppose to be strong physically and mentally. If a man is not strong, they call him an "agbala", a woman. Also, he is determined to prove that he is not his father, that he is quite the complete opposite. "He was a wealthy farmer and had two barns full of yams, and had just married his third wife," (8). Not only was he rich, but he was greatly respected because of his strength (and feared too) after defeating Amalinze the Cat in a wrestling match. But, his father was "...lazy and improvident and was quite incapable of thinking about tomorrow. If any money came his way, and it seldom did, he immediately bought gourds of palm-wine..." (4). This is self-explanatory. But is Okonkwo really as strong as he everyone thinks he is? I thought about it because he's only being this way because he's afraid of what people think of him and gaining "the title" among his village. He says that fear is weakness, but the fear is already in himself. Also, I hadn't thought about it until Marrisa mentioned it. She says that he is losing his joy and happiness at the same time. I also agree with the cycle that Nwoye will end up hating his father. The way Nwoye was growing up, I sensed some of Unoka in him, too. "Okonkwo's first son, Nwoye, was then twelve years old but was already causing his father great anxiety for his incipient laziness. At any rate, that wasw how it looked to his father, and he sought to correct him by constant nagging and beating. And so Nwoye was developing into a sad-faced youth," (14). He's lazy like his grandfather and the persistant nagging of Okonkwo isn't making the situation any better either.

Last, I also find it interesting of Okonkwo's fondness of Ezinma. He wishes that "she would have been a boy" (64) because she has the qualities to do so. But, Nwoye loved his mother's stories about the village. Maybe Nwoye should've been the girl because Okonkwo, while visiting his friend Obierika, says, "I am worried about Nwoye. A bowl of pounded yams can throw him in a wrestinling match," (66). Okokwo is basically saying that his son is weak and weakness is considered a woman's characteristic. I just think it's ironic how she should've been the boy and how he should've been the girl.

I think Matt brought up a good point about Okonkwo. Are we suppose to like this guy? I think that were are suppose to just learn a lesson that Achebe establishes through this character. Instead of disliking Okonkwo, I feel sorry for him. He is missing out a whole lot on life because of his determination to be a man and not being called an agbala.

No comments: